Dick Davis counsels our clients regarding trusts, wills, advance medical directives, powers of attorney, and other estate planning essentials. Further, having handled tax-related matters for thirty-five years, Dick brings that valuable niche to the firm’s family law practice. He has represented clients before the IRS, the Virginia Department of Taxation, and the United States Tax Court. Dick’s expertise is especially useful in family law settlements that involve substantial tax consequences, business valuations, and business divestitures.
In addition to his tax controversy work for individuals, Dick handles sale of business tax planning, qualified retirement plan design and compliance, ERISA compliance, and executive compensation. Over the years he has conducted continuing education tax seminars for attorneys and certified public accountants and has written articles on ERISA, qualified retirement plans, and tax-related matters affecting both businesses and individuals.
- J.D., Marshall-Wythe School of Law, College of William & Mary
- L.L.M., Taxation, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, College of William & Mary
- M.A., University of Texas
- B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Washington & Lee University
- Virginia, 1980
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2014-2017
- Best Lawyer’ 2014 Richmond Tax Litigator of the Year
- Legal Elite (Tax Law), 2005-2017
- Elder, New Hanover Presbyterian Church